SummaryBB cream, or beauty balms, have appeared everywhere, from luxury brands to drugstores. What are they? Do you need one? Keep reading to find out!
Dozens of BB cream options are flooding the market today, and appear here to stay. The term BB cream is short for beauty cream or blemish cream. Think of them as a more robust version of tinted moisturizers. A Best BB cream hydrates the skin, evens out skin tone, provides the skin with needed antioxidants, contains several anti-aging properties and offers SPF protection.
The BB cream industry got its start in Asia and has since spread to the United States.
More BB cream brands are becoming available in the U.S. Because of their increased popularity, you may be interested in trying one out or adding one to your beauty box. If so, how do you choose the one that suits your best?
Here are some simple tips to help you choose the best BB cream.
Table of Contents
- #01: What Does Each Best BB Cream Offer?
- #02: Take Time to Read Online Reviews
- #03: How to Choose the Best Cream For Your Type of Skin
- #04: Match the Cream to Your Personal Skin Tone as Much as Possible
- #05: Always Ask for Samples Before Committing to a Purchase
- How to Apply Best BB Cream to Your Skin
- If applying with your fingers:
- Applying with a sponge:
- Applying with a brush:
#01: What Does Each Best BB Cream Offer?
The properties of each cream can vary greatly and offer a different combination of effects on your skin.
Before jumping in with both feet and buying the first BB cream you see on the shelf, take some time to understand what the cream claims to offer. Then do some of your own personal research to see if those claims are substantiated.
Also, take some time to research the maker of the product. What is their reputation like online? Do you have any friends that have used this particular cream?
Consider putting a post on your social media pages asking your friends if they have used the product or if they recommend a different BB cream.
#02: Take Time to Read Online Reviews
There are many recognizable brand names that are now producing BB creams. However, don’t assume that just because you recognize the brand name as being reputable that they are producing the best BB cream.
Take in online reviews of each product. This will give you a better understanding of how the product will (or won’t) fit your individual needs.
When you’re reading reviews, pay extra close attention to the reviews that discuss skin types, tones and condition.
Then decide how these reviews and discussions match your specific circumstances.
#03: How to Choose the Best Cream For Your Type of Skin
Cosmetically speaking, every different skin type has its own set of needs.
In general, skin types can be broken down into three categories: dry, normal or oily.
- For those suffering from dry skin, a watery BB cream like MISSHA M Perfect Cover BB Cream is the way to go. Stay away from creams that have a thick consistency. These can make dryness worse. Of course, you’ll also want to find formulas that promise a good amount of moisturizing.
- For normal skin, your best bet is a cream that is moisturizing and makes skin look smooth like Burt’s Bees BB Cream. Also look for a cream that contains a skin whitener that will balance out overall skin tone.
- Those with oily skin should look for a cream that has a matte finish like La Roche-Posay Effaclar BB Blur Instant Oil-Absorbing Coverage BB Cream. Also look for creams that have plant extracts in the list of ingredients. Oily skin tends to be quite sensitive and plant-based creams are far less likely to bring about a negative skin reaction.
#04: Match the Cream to Your Personal Skin Tone as Much as Possible
Unfortunately, BB creams don’t typically have a very wide array of shades and tones to choose from. However, most will still have a limited set of options.
Choosing the shade that matches your skin tone the closest will look the best on you.
When trying to find the shade that best matches your skin tone, always compare with that of your face and neck skin. Some people make the mistake of comparing to the skin on their hands. This is a mistake because the tone of your hand’s skin is most often different than your face.
Finding the perfect match can take a little experimentation. But once you find it, you’ll know.
Then stick with it.
#05: Always Ask for Samples Before Committing to a Purchase
Cosmetic store lighting tends to be very flattering. After all, they are in the business of selling as many cosmetics as they can.
Most reputable companies will offer free samples of their creams before you buy. This is a great opportunity for you to wear it throughout your day and see how it looks in other artificial and natural light.
Ask your friends their opinion as well. Just make sure you ask friends who know when to say no!
Having the opportunity to wear a cream throughout the course of your average day will give you a much better idea if its a good fit.
If you are refused a sample of a certain product, it’s probably best to move on to the next option.
How to Apply Best BB Cream to Your Skin
Most people tend to apply the cream with their fingers. However, this can give a less smooth result than applying with a brush or sponge.
If applying with your fingers:
- Dab a 3/4″ amount on the back of your hand.
- Place 5 dots of the cream on your face. Namely, on the chin, nose, forehead, and each cheek.
- Gently dab the cream into your skin or blend it in an outward motion.
- Pat the cream around your eyes.
- Use a little extra cream if you want to cover skin imperfections.
Applying with a sponge:
- This is recommended for people with oily skin.
- Spray a facial mist onto the sponge.
- Place the same 5 dots of cream on your face using the method mentioned above.
- Rub the cream into your skin using smooth strokes from the center of your face outward.
- Apply less pressure around the eyes.
Applying with a brush:
- This is recommended for people with dry skin using liquid creams.
- Follow steps 1 and 2 of the finger application method.
- Gently blend the cream into your skin using an outward motion.
- When working around the eyes, pat the cream in gently to avoid damage to the skin.
Adding a BB cream to your cosmetic shelf might be a great idea for you.
Based upon the information in this article, we hope you find the cream that is a perfect match for your skin.
Once you’ve found the best BB cream for you, check out these other useful beauty tips.